Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cloth diaper accessories

Snappi Cloth Diaper Fasteners - Pack of 3 (Light Blue, Bright Blue, White)Accessories are a girl's best friend. :) Here are a few essentials:

The Snappi -
These candy-colored rubber tripods are essential for CDing. They can be used in the place of pins to close an flat, prefold, or snapless fitted diaper. Each of the 3 sides has a row of sharp plastic teeth that grab the diaper fabric. They are very user-friendly and reasonably priced ($3-4 each). Regular and Toddler sizes available.

Planet Wise Diaper Wet Bag - Medium (Black Curly Q)Wetbags -
You'll be needing somewhere to store dirty diapers when you leave the house. These are waterproof bags (usually with a cute print on the outside) that zip shut to keep all of the nasties inside for you to deal with when you get home. They range in price from around $5 to over $30 for a large sized/custom bag.

You'll probably want at least 2-3 of these to rotate in your diaper bag. I like the medium size (3-4 diapers), but if you frequently travel for longer periods of time outside of the house you may want a large or XL hanging bag (can hold 1-2 days worth of diapers).

Pail liner -
Planet Wise Diaper Pail Liner (Sea Spray)Diaper Genies and the like don't really work with CDs. I use a regular trashcan (kitchen sized, cheap white Rubbermaid with a swing top) with a Planet Wise Pail Liner. Pail liners are like reuseable, washable garbage bags. They have elastic around the top to hug the trash can. They are made from waterproof PUL fabric and are available in a variety of brands and colors. You just toss them into the washer with your diapers.


Cloth Wipes -
These are simply fabulous. A was having terrible diaper rashes in her disposables as a newborn and her pediatrician recommended cloth wipes with plain old water. I find them to be more "scrubby" and softer than disposable wipes. We have around 3 dozen wipes. Most of them are the cheap, thin Gerber washcloths. I do have some WAHM made ones from Etsy.com (softandscrubby) and Hyenacart.com (Quilter's Nappies) that are made of cute printed flannel/knit with cotton velour or birdseye fabric that is serged together. I use the cute ones for going out!

Squirt bottle -
I have a couple of the $0.99 plastic squirt bottles from the travel-sized goodies in Target that I keep with my wipes solution. When I need to use them I just squirt some directly onto the wipes. (I have heard people say that pre-moisted cloth wipes in a warmer can get musty smelling pretty quickly) You can purchase wipes solution (basically a scented soap and/or oil mixture) but I make my own because it's cheaper. I usually use plain water but if A is red down there I might mix up a batch with water and a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil (naturally antifungal and antiseptic). When I feel fancy I might add a squirt of Burt's Bees baby shampoo/wash.

2 comments:

  1. I have that exact same wetbag and exact pail liner (in yellow). It's crazy how many accessories you NEED though, in order to cloth diaper. It can really get pricey but I find that overall I do save myself a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately! And really, one could get by without all of these things - I used to use a king sized jersey knit pillowcase as my pail liner and carried a gallon sized ziplock in the diaper bag as my wetbag (money was tight back then!)

    ReplyDelete